Elanora, an Aboriginal word for “home by the sea”, was
originally named as a platform on the South Coast Rail Line in 1922.
The original location of the rail platform was within the now named “Palm Beach” suburb where Palm Beach avenue and the Gold Coast Highway intersect today. A local landowner sold most of Elanora to a developer, the Palm Beach Company Ltd, Brisbane, and subdivided allotments were put up for sale. The subdivision (1923) was known as Palm Beach.The rail line was closed in 1964.